Skip to content

Notice: The Competencies for Occupational Therapists in Canada (2021) are now in effect.

Close Notice
Contact  1-800-890-6570
Aug 20, 2020

Providing Virtual Service to Clients Outside Ontario

It is fantastic that so many occupational therapist are contacting the practice resource team with their questions. One of the common questions we receive is about jurisdiction as it relates to virtual practice. To clarify, the jurisdiction for the provision of occupational therapy services is defined by the location where the client resides - even if they reside there temporarily. An occupational therapist wanting to provide remote out-of-province service can:

  1. Determine if the service can be safely and effectively provided virtually.
  2. If yes, contact the regulatory College in the province of the client to request temporary registration. Note: If the client is in Nunavut, Yukon or North West Territories there is no separate regulator, the requirement is that you are registered in your own province or with one of the other occupational therapist regulatory Colleges in Canada.
  3. Upon receipt of temporary registration, and consent from the client, an occupational therapist can begin the clinical process of providing the service virtually.

So, if you are assessing or treating a client who is going out of province permanently or temporarily you will have to contact the regulatory College in that province to inquire about the process of applying for a temporary licence. If you have questions relating to jurisdiction or other practice issues, please contact the practice resource team at or 1-800-890-6570 ext. 240.