Q: As I am planning to retire from the profession of Occupational Therapy, do I need to keep my professional liability insurance?

A: For public protection, insurance policies are now required to have at least five years of extension of the coverage for claims made when on an extended leave or after retirement or otherwise ceasing practice.

The College has confirmed that the insurance coverage offered by the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT), the Ontario Society of Occupational Therapists (OSOT) and Aon Healthcare Advantage (Insurance Solutions for Occupational Therapists) continue to meet the College requirement.

It is recommended that you contact your provider prior to retirement to confirm the details of the professional liability insurance and your obligations.

← Back to Question and Answer