If you are applying for registration in Ontario and are currently registered in another province, you must:

  • complete all sections of the online application form

  • pay the application fee, 

  • arrange for completion of the Labour Mobility Application Form and the Regulatory History Form by the organization where you are currently registered
  • meet all other requirements (see below), and,

  • pay the annual registration fee.

You may not begin working* as an OT until you are registered with the College and have received written confirmation and a registration number. *Working as an OT includes participating in orientation or training at the workplace.

While you may qualify to apply under labour mobility, you may choose to apply to the College as a new applicant. If you have questions about this, please contact us to discuss your options. 

How Do I Meet the Requirements?

Currency - Evidence of Practice

You will need to provide evidence of occupational therapy practice in the past three years. A record of employment or letter from your employer is sufficient.

Good Conduct

Conduct questions are about occupational therapy practice, the practice of other professions, offences and other conduct. If in doubt, it is safer to report a finding of guilt than to risk failing to make a required report. Just because a report has been made does not mean that the College will take action, all of the circumstances will be reviewed. You must report any criminal offence even if does not relate to the practice of the profession.

If you hold (or have held) a license or registration to practice occupational therapy outside of Ontario you need to complete a regulatory history form.  Please forward the form to the appropriate organization and have them complete it and return it directly to the College. 

If the Registrar believes that any of your previous conduct will impact your ability to practice occupational therapy safely and ethically, you will be referred to the Registration Committee for a conduct review. You will be asked to submit a written explanation to the Committee for their consideration, and pay a conduct review fee of $100 + HST to pay for part of the cost of this conduct review.

Professional Liability Insurance

Professional liability insurance with a sexual abuse therapy and counseling fund endorsement is mandatory for registration with the College. The requirements for professional liability insurance are set out in Part 20 of the College bylaws. The College is not affiliated with and does not endorse any insurance provider. 

The College has confirmed that the insurance coverage offered (as of October 1, 2015) by the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT), the Ontario Society of Occupational Therapists (OSOT) and Aon Healthcare Advantage meets the College requirements. You are required to send to the College a copy of your insurance certificate which confirms the purchase of the insurance and includes the policy number and expiry date. 

Insurance may be purchased elsewhere, however, evidence that it meets the College's requirements must be sent to the College for review prior to acceptance.

Language Fluency

If the province where you are currently registered does not have a language fluency requirement that is equivalent to that of Ontario you must provide evidence of language fluency. You will meet that language fluency requirement if: 

  • your first language is English or French; or
  • the language of your occupational therapy program instruction is English or French; or
  • you have achieved an acceptable score on a College accepted test, please refer to our Language Fluency Requirement Policy for approved tests and accepted scores.

Accepted Tests

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) 
International English Language Testing System Academic (IELTS AC) 

Work Eligibility

If you are a Canadian citizen a copy of your birth certificate, current passport, or Canadian Citizenship Card is required. If you are not a Canadian citizen, evidence of landed immigrant status, permanent residency, or employment authorization under the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, 2001 is required. Forwarding a photocopy of the document is sufficient. If you do not currently meet this requirement, you may still begin the application process.