To register as an occupational therapist in Ontario, you must provide evidence as to whether you have been found guilty of any offence arising in any jurisdiction, including, any criminal offence, or any offence relating to the practice of occupational therapy. In addition, there must be nothing in your previous conduct that will impact your ability to practice occupational therapy safely and ethically.
Beginning April 1, 2017, applicants must submit a Vulnerable Sector (VS) Check as part of their application for registration with the College – this also applies to current applicants who have not been issued registration by April 1, 2017. The College uses the results of the VS Check to verify the above noted information.
- The VS Check must be completed on all the names you currently use and have used in the past.
- You are responsible for ensuring that the full legal name, previous names (if applicable) and date of birth on the VS Check match the information provided to the College during the application process. If the information does not match, the VS Check will not be accepted by the College.
- You are responsible for obtaining the correct type of Check and paying all related fees (including submitting to and paying for fingerprints, if required).
- The VS Check must have been conducted no more than six months before the date of registration with the College. If you do not register within six months of the date the results were issued by the police, you will be required to submit an updated VS Check.
- The results must be sent to the College by mail, faxes and scanned copies will be accepted.
- Please visit the website of your local police service for details regarding their specific process – if you live in the City of Toronto (postal code starts with M), see below.
Please see the Criminal Record Screening of Applicants and Members policy for more information.
Toronto Applicants Only
If you live in the City of Toronto (postal code starts with M), you must obtain a consent form in person from the College. A College staff person is required to verify your identification, so please bring at least two pieces of government issued photo ID.
The Toronto Police Service does not allow the College to send this form to applicants by email, mail, or fax. College hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We advise you to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm a date and time for form pick-up before visiting the College.
After you complete the form, you must mail the form and a certified cheque, or money order in the amount of $65.00, made payable to Toronto Police Service, to the following address or drop it in the box located in the Toronto Police Service lobby:
Toronto Police Service
Police Reference Check Program
40 College Street
Toronto ON M5G 2J3