Skip to content

Registered in Another Province

Process for registering in Ontario

Labour Mobility Application Form and more

If you are applying for registration in Ontario and are currently registered in another province, you must:

  • complete all sections of the online application form
  • pay the application fee,
  • arrange for completion of the Labour Mobility Application Form and the Regulatory History Form by the organization where you are currently registered
  • meet all other requirements (see below), and,
  • pay the annual registration fee.

You may not begin working* as an OT until you are registered with the College and have received written confirmation and a registration number. *Working as an OT includes participating in orientation or training at the workplace.

While you may qualify to apply under labour mobility, you may choose to apply to the College as a new applicant. If you have questions about this, please contact us to discuss your options.

Virtual services

Effective December 1, 2023, occupational therapists registered to practice in the provinces of British Columbia or Quebec must register in Ontario to provide virtual service to clients in Ontario. 

All other occupational therapists registered in other provinces who are providing virtual services to clients in Ontario can do so based on their existing registration in the province they are located. OTs registered in provinces (other than British Columbia and Quebec) do not require general or temporary registration in Ontario when only providing virtual services.

The rules for in-person services are unchanged, if you are providing in-person services to a client residing in Ontario, you must obtain temporary or general registration in Ontario.

Learn more about Virtual Services

How do I meet the requirements?

Currency (evidence of practice)

You will need to provide evidence of occupational therapy practice in the past three years. A record of employment or letter from your employer is sufficient.

Suitability to practise

The purpose of the suitability to practise requirement includes the protection of the public, the maintenance of high ethical standards, and the maintenance of public confidence in the profession.

You will be required to answer a series of questions on the application about your suitability to practise occupational therapy. The questions pertain to:

  • occupational therapy practice;
  • practice of other professions;
  • offences;
  • bail conditions or restrictions; and,
  • your ability to practise occupational therapy safely and ethically.

Every applicant must submit the results of a current Vulnerable Sector (VS) Check to the College as part of their application. If you do not register within six months of the date the results were issued by the police, you will be required to submit an updated VS Check.

The College uses the results of the VS Check to verify information pertaining to offences; bail conditions or restrictions; and any other relevant conduct. Please visit our VS Check webpage for full details. 

If you hold (or have held) a license or registration to practise occupational therapy outside of Ontario, and/or if you hold (or have held) a license or registration to practise in a profession other than occupational therapy in Ontario or elsewhere, you need to complete a Regulatory History Form.

Please forward the form to the appropriate organization and have them complete it and return it directly to the College.

If the Registrar has concerns about your ability to practice occupational therapy safely and ethically, your application will be referred to the Registration Committee for a review.

For more information on the review process please refer to the policy: Determining Suitability to Practise at Registration 8-72.

Professional liability insurance

Professional liability insurance with a sexual abuse therapy and counseling fund endorsement is mandatory for registration with the College. The requirements for professional liability insurance are set out in Part 19 of the College bylaws.

The College has confirmed that the insurance coverage offered (as of August 1, 2017) by the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT), the Ontario Society of Occupational Therapists (OSOT) and Aon Healthcare Advantage meets the College requirements. You are required to send the College a copy of your insurance certificate that includes the policy number and expiry date.

The College does not endorse any insurance provider. It is the is the responsibility of each occupational therapist (OT) to determine which insurance provider and policy best meets their needs. The above noted insurance providers are third parties and not affiliated with the College. The College provides this information so OTs are aware of policies that the College has confirmed meet the requirements of the bylaws.

Insurance may be purchased elsewhere, however, evidence that it meets the College's requirements must be sent to the College for review prior to acceptance.

Language fluency

If the province where you are currently registered does not have a language fluency requirement that is equivalent to that of Ontario you must provide evidence of language fluency. You will meet that language fluency requirement if:

  • your first language is English or French; or
  • the language of your occupational therapy program instruction is English or French; or
  • you have achieved an acceptable score on a College accepted test, please refer to our policy Language Fluency Requirement for approved tests and accepted scores.

Accepted tests

Work eligibility

If you are a Canadian citizen a copy of your birth certificate, current passport, or Canadian Citizenship Card is required.

If you are not a Canadian citizen, evidence of landed immigrant status, permanent residency, or employment authorization under the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, 2001 is required.

Forwarding a photocopy of the document is sufficient. If you do not currently meet this requirement, you may still begin the application process.