Skip to content

Public Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Have a question about how to find an occupational therapist or what to expect when working with an occupational therapist?

See answers to some of your frequently asked questions. 

Fees and funding for occupational therapy services

When you are a patient in a health facility like a hospital or rehabilitation centre, occupational therapy services are publicly funded through the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP).

However, when you go home, you may still need the help of an occupational therapist (OT) to resume or manage your daily activities. If you have a valid OHIP, you may be eligible to access some occupational therapy services through your local home and community care support services, even if you don’t have a doctor’s referral. 

Learn about funding options for services.

Although occupational therapists meet with parents and caregivers to provide them with updates on therapy progress or information to help support the individual, the occupational therapy work is being done with and for the client.

Billing information needs to accurately reflect the recipient of service.

An occupational therapist's financial records need to include “a clear identification of the client to whom the service or product was provided, for example, client’s full name and address and unique identifier if applicable.”

Getting occupational therapy services

You do not need a referral to see an occupational therapist. Your insurance company may require certain documentation so it is a good idea to check what is needed. 

Since occupational therapists work in a variety of settings, they will have different skills and experiences. Therefore, it is important to discuss your situation with your occupational therapist so they can tell you if they can help.

The College is licensing body and does not offer a referral service.

Our public register can be used to look up and confirm details about occupational therapists in Ontario.

To confirm that an occupational therapist (OT) is registered or to locate an Ontario occupational therapist, visit our public register Find an Occupational Therapist.

This public list of information about occupational therapists can be accessed any time on our website.

All the individuals who are qualified and able to practice occupational therapy in Ontario are listed with a status of 'registered'. Previous registrants of the College are also listed.

Being registered with the College means that an occupational therapist:

  • meets the requirements to practice, and
  • is accountable to the College for their conduct and meeting the standards of the profession.

Information about a health care professional can help you make choices about your heath care. You can make sure a person providing occupational therapy services in Ontario is registered with the College.


Have a question? Contact us

If you have questions about working with an occupational therapist, we can help. The College has occupational therapists on staff who are called Practice Consultants and they will respond to your inquiries. This service is anonymous and free.

Email: [email protected]
416-214-1177 or 1-800-890-6570 ext. 240.

Our goal is to respond within 2 business days.